Wednesday, October 08, 2008

"Bronx Tale"... in San Francisco


Last night Vadim and I and his sister and her husband decided to have a night out on the town. We were going to La Scene restaurant (a nice French place near Union Square) and later were seeing "Bronx Tale" at the Golden Gate theater. GG Theater is located in the heart of the Tenderloin... very colourful neighborhood, but can be somewhat dangerous at night. Well, little did we know that a little French place might be a magnet for "white-color" robbers! We were having a really nice dinner. Vadik's scallops were amazing, I enjoyed my caprese salad and butternut squash soup with a glass of Pepperwood Grove Viognier, Vika had an apple martini, Ahi Tuna Tartare and a soup, and Pavlik had Ahi Tuna steak. The desserts were amazing: passion fruit sorbet with pieces of passion fruit and an absolutely delicious Crème Brûlée with candied orange peel... SO GOOD... Well in the middle of enjoying this feast, a Middle Eastern looking man comes into the restaurant wearing a nice shirt and trousers and confidently walks towards our table located right in the middle of the restaurant. He then proceeds to pass us only to turn around a second later and say "Oops... wrong door." None of us except my husband paid enough attention to notice that in the process he grabbed Vika's purse and proceeded to leave the restaurant in a calm manner. Thank God for Vadik being so quick (all those video games I tell you!) He screamed "He took your purse!!" and ran after the guy, who casually dropped the purse and left the building. What a crazy and unexpected situation! Be aware of your surroundings regardless of where you are.

The play was great! I really felt the raw emotion of this young boy, it's amazing when a person talks about his own experience of growing up Italian in the Bronx. It also showed how multi layered people are... there are no black and white when it comes to people, we are a colorful bunch.
[as C walks out of Sonny's funeral] Sonny and my father always said that when I get older I would understand. Well, I finally did. I learned something from these two men. I learned to give love and get love unconditionally. You just have to accept people for what they are, and I learned the greatest gift of all. The saddest thing in life is wasted talent, and the choices that you make will shape your life forever. But you can ask anybody from my neighborhood, and they'll just tell you this is just another Bronx tale.

No comments: