Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sonik's bath time and random ramblings

Bath time is not the correct term, Sonik only takes showers. Why? I have no idea, but my baby girl will not sit in a bathtub, will not play with bath toys, will not splash around in a tub filled with water. She stands holding her toys and will throw the biggest fit imaginable if you try to sit her down... you really can't even if you tried, she becomes stiff as a board and you can only lay her down. Washing Sonik's beautiful curls is the biggest challenge known to mom, she stretches her little neck as far as it will go outside of the tub boundaries and holds her head above the floor (not anywhere near the tub.) What am I supposed to do with a smart baby like that?!

My son is a little weirdo... We were talking about doing accents. Masha is great at it, her British accent is perfect -- she sounds just like Keira Knightley. My son on the other hand is not that great, but he is great at doing a NY Jewish accent... he rolls his R's and sounds so funny! He kept saying Gr-gr-gr-grubinshtein... (considering that for the most part our family is Jewish, it wasn't in any way politically incorrect, was it?)

My friend is visiting from Los Angeles. She actually just moved to LA with her family so that her son could pursue hockey and play for a better team with a good old-fashioned Russian coach. We had a discussion last night about dream pursuits... my son plays hockey as well, and soccer, and tennis, and piano... however, I pretty much did tell him that when he grew up he was probably not going to be an athlete, so it was best for him to concentrate on his education and his studies. Inessa called me a "dream crasher", and I suppose I am in a way. I see my job as a parent to raise children that are well adjusted to life challenges. As a mother, I reserve the right to wholeheartedly support some dreams and let others fade into oblivion. When I was a child, my biggest dream was to become a conductor (no, not that kind!... the kind that collects and checks bus fares, writes fines, etc.) I am eternally grateful to my parents for not nourishing this dream of mine. Maybe I am wrong and I shouldn't project my cynicism onto my innocent and naive kids, but I missed that in "mother" training (wait a minute, it appears that I skipped this training entirely.... now that explains everything!)

No comments: